Renewing your visa

You need to make sure that your visa is valid for the whole time you’re studying in New Zealand. Find out how to renew your student visa.

To renew your student visa, you will need to reapply for a new, updated visa. Your student visa must name Victoria University of Wellington as your place of study and include your current programme of study.

If you wish to change your programme of study to one that is not stated on your current visa, you can seek advice from the Visa Office at Wellington University International.

Who to contact to reapply

There are two different ways that you can reapply for your student visa—through Wellington University International or through Immigration New Zealand.

You are eligible to reapply for your visa through Wellington University International if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • You are already in Wellington at the time of application.
  • You currently have a valid student visa (for any New Zealand study institution).
  • You have studied full time in your previous year of study (45 points or three courses per trimester) and you will be studying full time in the coming year (unless you’re in your final trimester of study).
  • You passed at least two courses in each previous trimester.
  • You are continuing your study at Victoria University of Wellington and have received your Offer of Place or Confirmation of Study.
  • You have paid your tuition fees for the coming year.
  • You have sufficient funds for your living costs and travel home.
  • You are not a New Zealand Scholarship student.

If you don’t meet all of these conditions, you need to apply for your student visa directly through Immigration New Zealand.

If you are a new international student, or if your visa is not valid or is another type of visa, such as a work or visitor visa, you will need to apply for a student visa through Immigration New Zealand.

If you are renewing a family member’s visa, you need to apply directly through Immigration New Zealand.

How to reapply for your student visa

Reapply through Wellington University International

To reapply for your student visa through Wellington University International, you will need to:

  1. Complete the Provider Direct Student Visa Application Form pdf53KB . (If you’re a PhD student, you also need to complete the INZ Additional Information Form pdf268KB .)
  2. Bring your application form and all required documents listed on the front page of the form to Wellington University International. Ensure you carefully read the form. Only complete applications will be accepted. (If you’re a PhD student, you also need to bring a copy of your current CV and a copy of your research abstract.)
  3. Pay the visa application fee of NZ$265 (NZ$170 for INZ fees plus NZ$95 for University administration). You can make your payment online by using a dedicated QR code available at the Wellington University International desk. Payments made to the University by debit or credit card will incur a convenience fee of 1.9%.

You must submit your complete student visa application to Wellington University International at least two weeks before your current visa expires.

Students with incomplete applications may be directed to apply through Immigration New Zealand if the correct documents are not submitted before this deadline.

Immigration New Zealand reserves the right to refuse applications submitted to Wellington University International and may request that you resubmit your application directly to Immigration New Zealand.

Reapply through Immigration New Zealand

To apply through Immigration New Zealand, you’ll need to re-enrol, receive your Confirmation of Study, pay your tuition fees, and receive your Fees Assessment. You will then need to apply for your visa online:

  1. Go to the Immigration New Zealand website.
  2. Create a RealMe account within the INZ website when prompted, before you start your application.
  3. Complete the INZ online application form. You will need to refer to your Offer of Place letter for your programme details.
  4. At the end of the form, upload a PDF file of any requested documentation.

Your RealMe account is the best place to check for updates on the status of your visa. Make sure you regularly log into RealMe and look through all of your documents for any new information from INZ.

Police and medical certificates

As part of your visa application, you may need to provide a police certificate, medical certificate, or chest x-ray certificate. Read the Information Sheet for Student Visa Application pdf55KB to confirm whether you do, and if you are still not sure, contact Immigration New Zealand.

It is your responsibility to contact Immigration New Zealand regarding the validity of your medical, chest x-ray, and police certificates, and to find out whether you need to submit new certificates.

Go to Immigration New Zealand for more information on medical and chest x-ray certificates or police certificates.

Changing your visa status

If you are granted a resident visa or permanent resident visa during your studies, you must let Wellington University International know immediately. This could affect your Studentsafe Inbound University insurance policy and any medical claims you can make.

Find out how changing your visa status can affect your eligibility for insurance.

To find out more

If you have questions about renewing your visa or would like more information, email

Visa office hours