More information

Find out more details about this partner university.

University of California

Read current reviews | Read past reviews | Visit the university's website

Subject areas

Architecture, Commerce, Design, Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences, Music, Science


United States of America, North America

Language of instruction


Level of study

Both UG/PG

Additional information

Campuses available: Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz.

Explore student experiences at these campuses at the following link: click here.

Read thoroughly the University of California Education Abroad Programme: click here. , including the Impacted Majors Information: click here., which tells you the subjects that are not available to exchange students at each campus. Make sure you meet any prerequisites if required.

Research courses at three of the nine California campuses. If you are nominated, you will be required to state your three choices on The University of California Application Form, and while The University of California tries to grant your first choice, it does have discretion to place you on another campus. You should be prepared to gain faculty approval for papers at a different campus; please be aware that papers are not identical from campus to campus.


Most UC campuses operate on the quarter system. A quarter includes 10 weeks of instruction. Winter quarter (January – March); Spring quarter (April – June); Fall quarter (September – December).One full academic year at these UC campuses is three quarters.

UC Berkeley (UCB) operates on the semester system. A semester includes 15 weeks of instruction. Spring semester (January – May); Fall semester (August – December); One full academic year at UCB is two semesters.

If you are applying for VUW Trimester 1, under the UC quarter system you apply for Winter & Spring Quarters. If you are applying for VUW Trimester 2, you apply for the Fall quarter only.

click here.

All students heading to UC are required to obtain the following vaccines and undergo Tuberculosis screening:
Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) - 2 doses; first dose on or after 1st birthday.
Varicella (chickenpox) - 2 doses; first does on or after 1st birthday.
Tetanus, Diptheria and Pertussis (Tdap) - 1 dose after age 7
Meningococcal conjugate (Serogroups A, C, Y, & W-135) - 1 dose on or after age 16 for all students age 21 years or younger
Screening for Tuberculosis – All incoming students who are at higher risk for TB infection should undergo either skin or blood testing for TB infection. (Higher risk includes extended travel to or born in South & Central America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East; prior positive TB test; current or planned immunosuppression, work or volunteering in healthcare or correctional facilities, or exposure to someone with active TB disease.)

You must be able to provide documentation proving you’ve completed the above vaccinations.

Exchange length

1 or 2 Trimesters

Course load

To comply with U.S. immigration policy, foreign students are required to be enrolled full time (at least 13 semester units at most Berkeley and Merced colleges, at least 12 quarter units at all other UC campuses). Most UC students enrol in 14-17 units per term. Most classes are worth 3 - 5 units.

4 units = 15 VUW points

Generally 100/200 level lower division courses transfer as Victoria 100 level (some discretion with 200 level courses) and 300/400 level upper division courses transfer as 200/300 level.

Exchange restrictions

click here.