Dame Margaret Bazley DNZM, Hon DLit
Dame Margaret currently serves as:
- Chairperson of the NZ Fire Service Commission
- Registrar of the Pecuniary Interests of Members of Parliament
- a member of the Waitangi Tribunal
- Chair of the Fundamental Review of the Legal Aid System.
The previous positions that she has held are:
- a member of the Royal Commission on Auckland Governance
- Chairperson of the Foundation for Research, Science and Technology
- Commissioner for the Inquiry into Police Conduct
- Member of the WestpacTrust Stadium Trust
- Chairperson of 3 task forces to arbitrate and settle the secondary teachers' pay dispute and set the long-term structure for their pay and working conditions.
When Dame Margaret retired from the public service in 2001, she was Chief Executive of the Ministry of Social Policy.
During her time in the public service, Dame Margaret held the following positions:
- Director-General of Social Welfare
- Secretary for Transport
- Deputy Chairperson, State Services Commission
- Commissioner, State Services Commission
- Director, Division of Nursing, Department of Health
- Chief Nursing Officer, Waikato Hospital Board
- Deputy Matron-in-Chief, Auckland Hospital Board
- Senior Public Health Nurse, Auckland District Health Office
- Matron, Sunnyside Hospital, Christchurch.
Dame Margaret received a Dame Companion of New Zealand Order of Merit in recognition of her significant contribution to the New Zealand public service.
She received an Honorary Doctorate of Literature from Massey University in 2008.