Prof Lew Evans
Teaching in 2021
Microeconomics; regulation, organisation and performance of markets and firms, financial econometrics. Lew's current research includes the performance of contracts, firms and markets under different competition and regulatory structures. He is a Lay member of the New Zealand High Court for matters of commerce, a member of the Government Electricity Task Force, a Fellow of Law & Economics Association of New Zealand, and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Contemporary Economic Policy. Lew is the past Director of the Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
MAgrSc (Hons) Linc, MA MS PhD Wisc
Lew Evans - Curriculum Vitae
- The E-Book: Forest Valuation under Carbon Pricing: A Real Options Approach (with Glenn Boyle, Richard Meade, Gabriel Fiuza and Andrea Lu), VDM, Verlag, 2009, 208p.
- Alternating Currents or Counter-Revolution? Contemporary Electricity Reform in New Zealand, (with Richard B Meade), Victoria University Press, 2006.
- 'Price-cap regulation and the scale and timing of investment' (with Graeme Guthrie), RAND Journal of Economics, 43, 3 (Fall 2012), pp. 537-561.
- 'How options provided by storage affect electricity prices' (with Graeme Guthrie), Southern Economic Journal, 75, 3 (2009), pp. 681-702.
- 'Bryan Passmore Philpott (1921-2000)', in A Biographical Dictionary of Australian and New Zealand Economists (with Viv Hall), edited by J.E. King (Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, 2007), pp. 220-221.
- 'Jan Louise Whitwell (1944-1993)', in A Biographical Dictionary of Australian and New Zealand Economists (with Viv Hall), edited by J.E. King (Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, 2007), pp.309-310.
- 'Incentive Regulation of Prices When Costs are Sunk' (with Graeme Guthrie), Journal of Regulatory Economics, 29, 3 (2006), pp. 239-264.
- 'A dynamic theory of cooperatives: The link between efficiency and valuation' (with Graeme Guthrie), Journal Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 162, 2 (2006), pp. 364-383.
- 'Governance in the New Zealand Electricity Market: A Law and Economics Perspective on Enforcing Obligations in a Market based on a Multi-Lateral Contract' (with Terence Arnold), The Antitrust Bulletin, 3 (2001), pp. 611-643.
- 'The Ultimatum Game: optimal strategies without fairness' (with Stephen Burnell, and Shuntian Yao), Games and Economic Behavior, 26, 2 (1999), pp. 221-252.
- 'Contracts in Continuous Time Asymmetric Information Models: The Importance of Large Information Flows' (with William Brock), Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organisation, 29, 3 (1996), pp. 523-535.
- 'The Economic Efficiency of Telecommunications in a Deregulated Market: the case of New Zealand' (with David Boles de Boer), The Economic Record, 72 (1996), pp. 24-35.
- 'Shareholder Liability Regimes, Principal-Agent Relationships and Banking Industry Performance' (with Neil Quigley), The Journal of Law and Economics, Vol XXXVIII, 2 (1995), pp. 497-520.
- 'Public Utility Regulators are only Human: A Positive Theory of Rational Constraints' (with Steven Garber), American Economic Review, 78, 3 (1998), pp. 444-462.
- 'The implications of storage and institutional arrangements for the pricing and management of water' (with Graeme Guthrie) Australian Agricultural and Resources Economics Society (Queenstown, February 2007).
- 'The implications of uncertain resources availability for generator decisions: it's implications for the measurement of market power' (with Graeme Guthrie), Western Economic Association International 81st Annual Conference (San Diego, June-July 2006).