Optics, electromagnetism and quantum theory
Propagation, polarization and reflection of focused laser beams. Invariant properties of light beams. Energy, momentum and angular momentum of electromagnetic and acoustic pulses. Quantum many-body theory; fluid mechanics.
My current focus is on the theory of electromagnetic pulses, in relation to work on my second book (below).
Newly published paper
Theory of electromagnetic pulses. Morgan & Claypool Publishers (2018, 1st Edition)
This book presents the theory of electromagnetic pulses in a simple and physical way. All pulses discussed are exact solutions of the Maxwell equations, and have finite energy, momentum and angular momentum. The subject matter is restricted to free-space classical electrodynamics, but contact is made with quantum theory in proofs that causal pulses are equivalent to superpositions of photons.
Theory of Reflection: Reflection and Transmission of Electromagnetic, Particle and Acoustic Waves, Springer (2016, Second edition).
Nature news item
Like attracts like? Nature: international weekly journal of science (23 May 2012)
View my publications.
- A0 Motion of the free-particle Gaussian wavepacket through its focal region.
- B0 Motion of the free-particle Gaussian wavepacket through its focal region.
- A1 Motion of the non-reflecting wavepacket Φ1(x,t) through the potential region.
- B1 Motion of the wavepacket Φ1(x,t) through the potential region.
- C1 Comparison of the motion of the wavepackets Φ0(x,t) and Φ1(x,t).
- A2 Total reflection of a wavepacket by the potential ħ / mx2.
- A3 Partial reflection of a wavepacket by the delta function repulsive potential.
- A4 Contraction and spreading of the Airy wavepacket in its zero-momentum frame.
- B4 Space curve of the Airy wavepacket in its zero-momentum frame.
- A5 Gaussian wavepacket in gravitational field.
- A6 Schrödinger packet for a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential.
- B6 Harmonic oscillator wavepacket: an animated space-curve.
- C6 Packet based on first excited state of harmonic oscillator.
- A7 Quantum bouncer on a spring.
- A8 Airy wavepacket in gravitational field.