Weta FX MDT Scholarship
History and purpose
Weta FX are offering one full-tuition scholarship for the Master of Design Technology programme. One of the world’s premier visual effects studios, Weta FX is known for its culture of creativity and innovation. From Gollum to Caesar, Middle-earth to Pandora, the studio has created some of the most memorable characters and worlds of the last twenty years. The Master of Design Technology, has been running since 2015. The programme enables students to take part in real-world projects and industry practicums learning skills like compositing, 3D animation, lighting and FX simulation. It is taught at the Miramar Creative Centre among the Weta group buildings on Park Road and offers unrivalled access to work experience and professional connections. Weta FX also supports the students through guest lectures, critique and mentoring.
- Applicants must be enrolled or have accepted an offer to study in the Master of Design Technology programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants can be domestic or international students.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 7 (A-) throughout the duration of the degree.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- Design Portfolio and/or Showreel
- One academic reference
- Academic transcripts
The successful recipient will be selected by the Programme Director from MDT (or nominee), Director of Miramar Creative Centre (or nominee) and one or more representatives of Weta FX.
The value of the scholarship is $15,000. This is to be paid towards fees, and the remaining funds will be paid as one-off payment to the recipient.
Recipients must write a letter of thanks to Weta FX during their tenure of their scholarship. They are required to, at the end of their study, provide an example of their portfolio to Weta FX. Recipients may also be asked to participate in University communications and interviews for the award.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
Scholarships and PhD Admissions Office
Phone 0800 04 04 04