Wellington Postgraduate Scholarship 2021
The Wellington Postgraduate Scholarship has been established to support professionals who have been impacted by COVID-19 and are looking for a change in career direction or to upskill in their current industry. The scholarship will provide a contribution towards tuition fees for students who are enrolling into a postgraduate coursework programme in 2021.
The scholarship is open to students who are enrolling into a postgraduate coursework programme in 2021 at Victoria University of Wellington, either full or part time. Postgraduate coursework programmes include graduate certificates and diplomas; postgraduate certificates and diplomas; and masters by coursework. Students who are currently enrolled in a postgraduate coursework programme are not eligible.
Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents who are residing in New Zealand and who meet one of the University’s admission types.
Applicants applying to study a Master by Research/Thesis or PhD are unable to apply for this scholarship. A Masters by Research or Thesis is considered any programme that has a 90-point or more thesis component. Honours students undertaking or intending to undertake an undergraduate programme such as LLB (Hons) or BE(Hons) are also unable to apply.
- Applicants must be applying to study at Victoria University of Wellington in a postgraduate coursework programme, either full or part time.
- Applicants must be citizens or Permanent Residents who are residing in New Zealand and who meet one of the University’s admission types.
- Applicants must have been impacted in their career/industry by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate how their programme of study will contribute to their professional development in their current field or support them in changing careers.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
NOTE: An enrolment application must also be completed by the application closing date relevant to your qualification.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement (up to 500 words) outlining how Covid-19 has impacted their career and how the intended programme of study will support their career aspirations and contribute to their professional development
- A recent CV outlining their employment history
- A copy of their transcript
The successful recipients will be selected by the Victoria University Scholarship Committee.
The scholarship will provide a contribution towards tuition fees and will be paid in two instalments. The second instalment will be conditional on satisfactory academic progress.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being enrolled in a postgraduate coursework programme. Students must be new to the qualification that they are applying for.
- Students will be awarded either $5,000 or $2,500 at the discretion of the awarding committee.
- The Scholarship will be paid in two instalments as a contribution to tuition fees. Students are required to make satisfactory academic progress in their study before the second payment is released.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.