Victoria University of Wellington OBU Scholarship for Pasifika Students
This scholarship is available to Year 13 college students of Pasifika ethnicity or descent, of any gender, who are intending to enrol in an undergraduate degree at Victoria University of Wellington in the year following application.
This scholarship has been established to support students of Pasifika ethnicity or descent, of any gender, to study at Victoria University of Wellington. Preference will be given to students who play rugby at a competitive level, however, this is not a prerequisite to receiving this scholarship.
Students who play rugby at a competitive level may be given preference. To retain this scholarship for the full tenure, the recipient must maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Applicants must be New Zealand Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Applicants must be intending to enrol into their first year of undergraduate study at Victoria University of Wellington
- Applicants must be of Pasifika ethnicity or descent
- Applicants who have taken a gap-year before tertiary study are eligible to apply
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement outlining your background and study aspirations
- An academic transcript of Level 2 NCEA results (or equivalent)
- A letter of recommendation or character reference
Selection will be made by representatives from the Office of the Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Pasifika). If the short-listed candidates comprise of applicants who play rugby, representatives from Victoria Recreation and OBU may be consulted.
Recipients are expected to send a letter of appreciation to the donor within one month of receiving the scholarship. Students must provide an end of year progress report at the end of their first and second years. Student must agree to an academic monitoring and mentoring programme in their first year of study.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.