Victoria Guaranteed Master's by Thesis Fees Scholarship
These scholarships will be offered automatically to applicants who meet the criteria and are applying to the Victoria Master's by Thesis Scholarship.
These scholarships encourage postgraduate research at Victoria University of Wellington by offering guaranteed fees scholarships to Māori and Pasifika students about to begin a full-time, research-focused Master's degree.
To qualify for the guaranteed fees scholarship applicants will be Māori or Pasifika who have achieved a GPA of 7.5 or above in their prerequisite degree which has been completed within 12 months prior to application. Those applicants who have completed outside the 12 months will be considered on an individual basis. These scholarships are available to both Victoria University of Wellington students and those applying from other New Zealand universities. Applicants will also be considered for the full Victoria Master's by Thesis Scholarship.
- Applicants must meet meet the criteria and are applying to the Victoria Master's by Thesis Scholarship.
- Applicants must be either Māori or Pasifika students who have completed their prerequisite degree at a New Zealand University.
- Applicants must have achieved a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 7.5 and above in their prerequisite degree withing 12 months of application.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Successful recipients will be selected by the University Research Scholarships Committee.
These scholarships will comprise tuition fees for one year (domestic fees for the thesis component only). Fees will be paid directly to the University by the Scholarships Office. International students other than those from Australia will be liable to pay the difference between the full international student fee and the domestic fee.
Regulations and conditions
- The scholarship shall be tenable at Victoria University of Wellington for a period of one calendar year.
- Recipients are required to accept their offer of scholarship within four weeks of the offer after which the scholarship offer will lapse.
- Applicants will be considered for the full Master’s by Thesis Scholarship. Subject to the approval of the University Research Scholarships Committee, this Scholarship may be held with any other scholarship or award for which the holder is eligible, with the exception of any Victoria University of Wellington funded fees remission.
- The University Research Scholarships Committee may at any time suspend or terminate a scholarship, or require the forfeiture of such proportion of the scholarship emolument as it may determine, if the scholarship recipient is not diligently pursuing their programme of study, has violated the University Statute on Conduct, or has failed to comply with any of the terms and conditions on which the scholarship was awarded.
- If a student has already been enrolled for a Master’s degree at Victoria University of Wellington for more than three months at the time when the offer of a scholarship is made, the maximum length of tenure of the scholarship will be reduced at the discretion of the University Research Scholarships Committee.
- At the discretion of the Victoria Research Scholarships Committee, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.