Vice Chancellor's International Excellence Scholarship
The purpose of the Vice Chancellor’s International Excellence Scholarship is to support high achieving new undergraduate international students to study at Victoria University of Wellington in 2023. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic excellence. Scholarships are valued at $10,000 for the first year of study which will be put towards tuition fees.
Who is eligible?
- Applicants must be new international students who are paying full international fees and are entering their first year of an undergraduate degree.
- Applicants are expected to have the equivalent to USA GPA of an A range (A-, A, A+). Students who have studied at a New Zealand high school, will be assessed based on NCEA Level 2 or 3 Certificate endorsed with Excellence.
- Applicants must be commencing their studies in Trimester 1, Trimester 2 or Trimester 3, 2023.
- Applicants must be studying onshore in New Zealand.
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
- Completed the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programme at Victoria University of Wellington or the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation Studies Programme
- Are a Study Abroad or pathway student from one of our overseas partner universities
- Are studying a Graduate Certificate/Diploma, Postgraduate programmes or a PHD
- Are in your second or subsequent year of study in the same degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Are transferring with credit from another tertiary institution
- Commence your studies online
The award will only apply to new students who have not previously been enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington
Applicants are expected to have the equivalent to USA GPA of an A range (A-, A, A+). Students who have studied at a New Zealand high school, will be assessed based on NCEA Level 2 or 3 Certificate endorsed with Excellence.
There is no application procedure for the scholarship, eligible students will automatically receive the scholarship. Applicants will be assessed based on academic excellence and will be assessed when an application to study is submitted. Successful applicants will receive notification of the scholarship by email.
If at the time you commence your studies you no longer meet the eligibility criteria listed above you will not receive the scholarship.
- The scholarship of NZ $10,000 is for the first year of study only. To be eligible applicants must commence their studies onshore in person, in New Zealand. If applicants commence their studies online they are not eligible for the scholarship.
- All offers of the scholarship will be conditional upon a recipient being enrolled as a full-time student by the start of the commencing trimester. No payment of the scholarship will be made until this condition has been met.
- The Scholarship funds will be paid towards tuition fees. Recipients will receive a letter outlining the scholarship and its conditions, which can be used for visa purposes. For example, a student can pay the amount stated on their offer letter less the scholarship amount.
- This scholarship cannot be held in conjunction with any other Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington scholarships, grants or discounts.
Regulations and conditions
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being enrolled full-time within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the Scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- This scholarship cannot be held in conjunction with any other Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington scholarships, grants or discounts
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship, full repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Wellington University International if they intend to withdraw.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
For more information, please contact Wellington University International.