Susan Price Scholarship
This scholarship is to assist postgraduate students, and encourage the use of the Susan Price Collection in their research.
The Susan Price Collection, in the National Library of New Zealand, is a research collection of quality children's books published mainly in Britain, America, Australia and New Zealand from the 1930's until the present day. This scholarship was established by Susan Price, through the Victoria University of Wellington Foundation, to assist postgraduate studies at Victoria University of Wellington and to encourage them to use the collection in their research. The collection is housed at the private residence of Susan Price. Students wishing to make an appointment to view the collection can contact Susan on telephone 04 475 8092 or fax 04 475 6194.
The scholarship shall be awarded to a student enrolled in a Masters or PhD studies at Victoria University of Wellington, or to an Honours student undertaking a research essay on an appropriate topic who intends to undertake research that will make use of the Susan Price Collection. Students undertaking courses in English, History, Librarianship, Creative Writing or Education are eligible, if their focus is on children's literature, writing, or development in regard to writing or reading. The scholarship is open to international students as well as New Zealand citizens and permanent residents.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD studies at Victoria University of Wellington, or to an Honours student undertaking a research essay on an appropriate topic who intends to undertake research that will make use of the Susan Price Collection.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A one-page research proposal (this should also include on how the applicants intend to make use of the Susan Price Collection in their research)
- A reference from the Head of School or supervisor (to be requested via the online application)
The successful recipient will be selected by a panel consisting of the Director of the Masters or PhD programme(s) from which applications are received and a representative of the donor.
The selection will be made on academic merit and a one-page research proposal.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.