Jamieson Family Sport Scholarship for Pasifika Students
The Jamieson Family Sport Scholarship for Pasifika Students has been established by Grant Jamieson and his family to support a student of Pasifika ethnicity or descent to study at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington. Applicants must be in Year 13 or have completed Year 13 in the year prior and be taking a gap year to be eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Applicants must be of Pasifika ethnicity or descent and intending to enrol full time in an undergraduate degree at Victoria University of Wellington. Scholarships will be awarded based on academic merit, sporting achievement, and commitment to attaining a tertiary qualification. Preference will be given to applicants who are experiencing financial hardship, female, or play sport at a competitive level. Preference may also be given to applicants who have a Merit endorsement in NCEA Level 2 (or equivalent in another qualification).
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must be:
- of Pasifika ethnicity or descent
- intending to enrol full time in an undergraduate degree at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington in the year following application
- age-group regional and/or national representatives in their chosen sport
- New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents of at least two years' standing.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Apply online by 31 October 2021
Scholarship specific documentation
- Secondary school academic record
- A letter of support from sporting coach (to be requested via the online application)
- A one-page sporting CV summarising most recent sporting achievements and an outline of 2022 sporting goals and performance plans
Applications will be considered by a decision-making panel comprising of academic and professional staff at the University, including a representative from the Office of the Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Pasifika). The panel will be chaired by the Associate Director Sport and Recreation. To assist with awarding, the panel may decide to consider academic performance and financial hardship in addition to being mindful towards the University's strategic focus on Pasifika students. The donor will decide on the final recipient based on the panel’s shortlisted applicants, and the scholarship will be awarded by the Scholarships Office at Victoria University of Wellington.
The scholarship comprises of a $10,000 stipend each year for three years to be paid in monthly instalments.
The recipient will be expected to write a letter of thanks, introducing themselves to the donor within one month of receiving the scholarship.
The recipient must also:
- maintain a B+ average (GPA of 6) in order to retain the scholarship for the full tenure
- provide an end of year progress report each academic year
- be a member of a Victoria University of Wellington registered sports club*
- be an active member of the Student Athlete Network
*Where it is more appropriate for the recipient to be playing for a non-university club, the recipient may apply for exemption (decision to be made by the Sports Manager)
If part time study for the recipient is approved, their scholarship award may be pro-rated. This decision will be made by the decision-making panel. The recipient must discuss reducing from full-time to part time-study with the Sports Manager and the Scholarships Office prior to making any changes.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- The Scholarship recipient is an ambassador for Victoria University of Wellington and is expected to always represent the values of the University. Our sporting ambassadors will be active and vocal supporters of the University, our clubs, University sport, and their student peers. The recipient is expected to participate in any marketing and communication opportunities that are presented.
- Unless exemption is awarded, the recipient must be an active, registered member of the applicable sports club of Victoria University of Wellington.
- The Scholarship recipient is automatically registered in the Student Athlete Network and are expected to be active members and participants within this community.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time, this would normally be 105 points) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the Scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- If part time study for the recipient is approved, their scholarship award may be pro-rated. This decision will be made by the decision-making panel. The recipient must discuss reducing from full-time to part time-study with the Sports Manager and the Scholarships Office prior to making any changes.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards except for any other Victoria University of Wellington sports scholarship or other full fee-paying scholarship.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. The recipient must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate of the Scholarship.