Teaching in 2020
as Coordinator and Lectureras Coordinator and Lecturer
Susan is interested in studying the factors that contribute to the initiation, maintenance and relapse to drug abuse. Most of her work has been done in rats and has measured effects of MDMA. Future studies may focus on additional drugs of abuse. The questions of interest are:
- Are some individuals more susceptible to drug abuse than others? What are the factors that predispose some individuals to drug abuse? Are these factors genetic or environmental or both?
- Is there a "switch" from drug use to drug abuse and, if so, what is the nature of the "switch"? Is there a way to reverse the process using drug therapies?
- What are the factors that control relapse to drug abuse? Can the risk of relapse be decreased using drug therapies?
BSc McGill University, MS, PhD Concordia University
- Editorial Board Addiction Biology
- Member Psychoactive Substances Expert Advisory Committee-MoH (2013)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand
- James Cook Fellow (2011-2013)
- Editorial Board Journal of Drug and Alcohol Research
- Board member International Drug Abuse Research Society
- Member Organising Committee AWCBR
Behavioural Pharmacology Lab
Susan leads the Behavioural Pharmacology Lab, please visit their website for more information on their current research.