Finding and using J.C. Beaglehole Room resources
Explore the various ways you can access J.C. Beaglehole Room resources.
J.C. Beaglehole Room staff are available to help you find what you need for your research. Please contact us if you’re not sure where to start.
Material in the J.C. Beaglehole Room collection can be searched in Te Waharoa – the Library’s discovery system. After searching, you can select “Kelburn Library (JC Beaglehole)” under the “Library” section in the “Tweak your results” options.
Find and request published material
Archives and manuscripts
Archives and manuscripts in the J.C. Beaglehole Room can be searched via ArchivesSpace. When you have found the material you’d like to view, please make a request using the online form, adding the collection identifier and as much detail as possible about specific items required.
Find archival material
Using J.C. Beaglehole Room resources
Materials held in the J.C. Beaglehole Room are irreplaceable, rare, or valuable. To help protect our collections we need you to observe the following:
- Items may only be accessed in the J.C. Beaglehole Reading Room
- Food and liquids (including water bottles) are not permitted in the Reading Room
- Archives and manuscript material must be kept in the same order as you have received it in. If you are concerned that the order has changed, please discuss this with staff
- Handle items with care – including keeping hands clean or using gloves for handling photographs
- Only use a laptop or pencils when taking notes
- If you are given access to a restricted collection, you must observe the conditions under which access was granted
- If you wish to copy material (including taking photographs), you must have prior approval from J.C. Beaglehole Room staff - see conditions for copying materials below
- If you wish to use material in a publication, you must have written approval from J.C. Beaglehole Room staff. If the material is in copyright, you will also need approval from the copyright owner.
Copying J.C. Beaglehole Room resources
Copying selected material from the Collections may be permitted on the understanding that:
- Digital devices (non-flash) may be used with permission of J.C. Beaglehole Room staff for reference copying only
- Library staff will consider and manage copying of material that requires photocopy or scanning
- The Library reserves the right to refuse to copy any material which may be damaged in the process, or on which there are access restrictions
- Copies are for the purposes of research or private study only
- Provision of copies does not imply permission to publish. Copies will not be further reproduced or offered for sale, or deposited in another library’s collection.