Teaching in 2020
- as Course Coordinator and Lecturer
- BSc University of Otago
- MIR Victoria University of Wellington
- PhD Victoria University of Wellington
By email appointment.
Jason Young is the Director of the New Zealand Contemporary China Research Centre and an Associate Professor in the School of History, Philosophy, Political Science and International Relations. His research focuses on Chinese politico-economic and institutional reform, Chinese foreign policy and New Zealand-China relations. Jason is author of China’s Hukou System (Palgrave 2013) and a number of journal articles and chapters in both English and Chinese. Jason was the recipient of a 2013 Royal Society of New Zealand Marsden Fast Start to investigate investment in rural China. His current research focuses on Chinese international relations writing on the Belt and Road initiative. Jason spent four years studying Chinese at Fu Jen and Tunghai Universities and travels regularly to China and Asia including as coordinator of the China Field Study exchange programme with China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing.
Jason is currently conducting research on Chinese international relations writing on the Belt and Road Initiative.
I am interested in supervising graduate research at both the Masters and Doctoral level in the following broad areas:
- Chinese international relations
- New Zealand-China/Asia relations
- Institutional reform in China
- ‘Seeking Ontological Security Through the Rise of China: New Zealand as a small trading nation’, Pacific Review, Vol. 30, No.4 (2017) pp.513-530.
- Huang, Xiaoming and Jason Young, Politics in Pacific Asia: An Introduction (2nd Edition), Basingstoke: Palgrave (2017), pp. 318+xiii.
- 'New Zealand and the One Belt One Road Initiative’, pp.194-210 in Blue Book of Oceania: Annual Report on Development of Oceania (2014-2015): China’s 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Initiative and the South Pacific Countries, edited by YU Changsen, Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press (China), (2015) (Chinese).
- ‘Analysis of the Paths of Land Reform in China: a Way of Nationalisation’, China and the World Cultural Exchange, (2015 Supplementary], pp. 226-231 (Chinese and English versions).
- 'Space for Taiwan in regional economic integration: Cooperation and partnership with New Zealand and Singapore', Political Science, Vol. 66, Issue 1 (June 2014) pp. 3-22.
- 'Conclusion: The Third Plenum and New Zealand' pp.145-151 in China at the Crossroads: What the Third Plenum Means for China, New Zealand and the World, edited by Peter Harris, Wellington: Victoria University Press (2014).
- 'China-New Zealand Relations Enter a New Stage' pp.231-248 of Blue Book on Oceania: Annual Report on Development of Oceania (2013-1014), edited by YU Changsen, Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press (China)(2014) (Chinese).
- Huang, Xiaoming and Jason Young. 'China and the World Economy: Challenges and Opportunities for New Zealand', China Research Centre Discussion Paper, 13/01 (Aug. 2013) 90pp.
- 'Comparative Analysis of Modern Rural Development in New Zealand and China' Economic Forum, Gen. 521, No. 12 (Dec. 2013) pp. 164-170 (Chinese).
- 'Toward an Integrated System of Rural-Urban Residency and Land Use in China', Modern China Studies, Vol. 20, No. 2, (2013), pp.229-266.
- 'The Forgotten Sector: Institutions, Market Linkages, and Concurrent Growth in Rural China and Japan' pp.192-212 of Modern Economic Development in Japan and China: Developmentalism, Capitalism, and the World Economic System, edited by Xiaoming Huang, London: Palgrave MacMillan (2013).
- China’s Hukou System: Markets, Migrants and Institutional Change, (London: Palgrave Macmillan, June 2013).
- 'Hukou, Labour Markets and the Chinese Developmental State', Fudan Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, vol 5, no.3 (2012): 1-25.
- 'Labor Movement and Economic Growth: Shaping and Managing the Lewis Transition in China and India' pp.150-179 of China, India and the End of Development Models edited by Xiaoming Huang, Alexander C Tan and Sekhar Bandyopadhyay, (London: Palgrave MacMillan, 2012).
- 'Investing in the Economic Integration of China and New Zealand', China Papers, no.22 (2012): 1-31.
- 'The Evolution of China’s Rural Land Tenure System', proceedings of the 19th New Zealand Asian Studies Society International Conference, (2011): 54-59.
- 'China’s Changing Hukou System: Institutional Objectives, Formal Arrangements and Informal Practices', pp.130-151 of The Institutional Dynamics of China’s Great Transformation edited by Xiaoming Huang, (Oxon: Routledge, 2010).
- 'New Zealand's Policy towards Britain Joining the Common Market' (with Jia Wenhua), World History, vol 5 (2009): 48-58 (Chinese).