Examination and graduation

Find out how the Faculty of Engineering student support team can help you with examinations and graduation.


Information about exams at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington, including exam rules, types of assessment, and what to do if you have a problem or can’t sit an exam, can be found on the Examinations and assessments page.

Help at final assessment or exam time

There is help available if you’re feeling unwell or are facing serious personal circumstances in the lead up to exams or final assessment due dates. Contact us to discuss your options.

No student ID

If you do not have a photo ID, you can get an ID verification form to complete from the Faculty Office.

Dictionary use

If English is not your first language, you may be able to take a printed dictionary (foreign language to English) into your examination. You will need to complete the dictionary form pdf975KB and take it to your course coordinator to sign, then submit it to the Faculty Office.

Sitting an examination out of time or place

It is possible to sit an examination at a different time or place only under exceptional circumstances, which are assessed on a case-by-case basis. Contact us to get an application form, which must be completed well in advance of the examination date. Independent supporting documentation must be provided in all cases.


Information about graduation, including how to apply, dates, and advance graduation, can be found on the Applying to graduate page.

Once you have completed a qualification, you will be sent an email about the graduation process. It is therefore important to keep your contact details in Student Records up to date.

You can choose to graduate in person at a ceremony or graduate in absentia, which means that your qualification will be conferred at a meeting of the University Council without you being present.

Graduation ceremonies

If you complete your qualification at the end of the second trimester, you would normally graduate at the May ceremonies of the following year. If you complete mid-year (at the end of the first trimester), you would normally graduate at the December ceremonies. You can however apply to graduate at a subsequent ceremony as long as it is within 12 months of completing your qualification.

Advanced graduation

In some circumstances, students can apply for advanced graduation. You will need to talk to us about your circumstances and submit the appropriate form and supporting documentation by the application deadline for that ceremony.