Course planning

Find out how the Student and Academic services team can help you plan your courses and qualifications.

If you need help deciding what degree, major or courses to take, you can book a course planning session with the University's Student Recruitment and Course Advice team. They can answer your questions about the degree, course planning and admission to the University.

Faculty of Engineering student advice

Contact our Undergraduate Student Advisers to get advice about planning your Bachelor of Engineering with Honours or Bachelor of Science degree—or about figuring out which one to choose.

Our Student Advisers can also advise on course selection—and help you navigate prerequisites, corequisites and restrictions—and how to know if you have enough points for your degree. Enrolled students can also complete a self-audit online using myDegree.

Contact our Postgraduate Student Adviser to get advice about your options for postgraduate study in the Faculty of Engineering. If you're a PhD student, or thinking of enrolling in one, you can also get advice from the Wellington Faculty of Graduate Research.


Undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students enrol online.

Prospective PhD students will need to have talked to postgraduate coordinator at the School of Engineering and Computer Science, Computational Media Innovation Centre, or Robinson Research Institute before enrolling via the Wellington Faculty of Graduate Research.

If you are an international student, please contact Wellington University International for more information.

Transferring credits from another institution

To apply for recognition of study at other tertiary institutions towards your Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington qualification, you will need to provide us with proof of your previously completed courses at the other tertiary institution(s), such as:

  • an original or certified copy of your academic transcript
  • an original or certified copy of your Certificate of Completion.

Exemption from course prerequisite or degree regulation

If you are applying for exemption from a prerequisite or corequisite, complete an Application for exemption form pdf77KB and take this to the relevant course coordinator for approval. Then send or deliver the form to the science faculty office for processing.

If you are applying for an exemption from a specific course requirement, or permission to substitute an approved course, you can simply take the completed form to the science faculty office.

Adding and withdrawing from courses

You may be able to add or drop courses online—go to Student Records and follow the instructions. If not, please talk to one of our Student Advisers.

Adding courses should be done before the end of the first week of term. Once classes have started, you need the permission of the course coordinator. If the lecture/tutorial/laboratory rooms are full, then there may be no place for you. If you have missed too many of the lectures, then you may be declined permission on academic grounds.

There are a number of different withdrawal options, depending on when you drop the course(s) and the circumstances involved. Only early withdrawals are eligible for a refund.

For more information about adding or dropping courses, visit the Course additions and withdrawals page.

Changing degree or major

You may be able to change your degree or major online—go to Student Records and follow the instructions. If not, you should talk to one of our Student Advisers.

You may wish to discuss your options first with a Student Adviser or the Associate Dean (Students and Academic Development).