Computer Graphics 10-year Anniversary
This year marks the 10-year anniversary of the Computer Graphics programme at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington.
Leading Computer Graphics research from Aotearoa
Victoria University of Wellington has the largest computer graphics research group in Australasia.
The group’s strengths include:
- real-time computer graphics and visual effects
- augmented, virtual, mixed, and extended reality
- digital twin, appearance capturing and modelling
- photorealistic rendering and composition
- biomedical imaging and scientific visualisation
- computational photography
- parametric modelling 3D curves and surfaces
- the aesthetics of graphics
- machine learning based data generation used to train artificial intelligence.
The first Master of Science in Computer Graphics student graduated in 2016, and the undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Computer Graphics had its first intake the same year.
In 2022, we launched two new majors—a Bachelor of Science in Computer Graphics and Games, and a Bachelor of Design Innovation in Game Design.
The School and the Centre
The group exists across two entities—the School of Engineering and Computer Science and the Computational Media Innovation Centre (CMIC). CMIC began in 2018 and has built a pipeline to link academic research with industry. CMIC aims to develop a next generation research framework that combines immersive, interactive, and intelligent (3i) media technologies into future media platforms.