Offer an internship
Connect with talented students, provide valuable work experience, and help create a strong workforce in your industry through offering an internship.
An internship is a paid or unpaid work experience programme related to the student's study or their career plans. They can run for a few weeks to several months.
Internships need to:
- be for a fixed term
- be structured
- provide mentorship, supervision, and performance feedback.
Internships can be:
- full time or part time
- during university holidays or during term time alongside studies
- paid employment where studies are deferred until the internship is completed
- in New Zealand or overseas.
Internships are an excellent way for your organisation to boost its recruitment activities. Interns bring enthusiasm and a fresh point of view to the workplace, stimulating creative thinking and providing new alternatives.
- strengthening the relationship between your organisation and the academic community—students and staff
- helping you meet short-term project deadlines—interns can provide professional or para-professional staff support
- tapping into students who come equipped with the latest academic thinking and knowledge of recent technical innovations
- when you need to take on new staff, you will have a ready pool of talented people who understand your culture and can hit the ground running.