Microsoft Teams brings several Microsoft Office communication and collaboration features together into one application. Teams is great for keeping in touch with your colleagues when off campus as it is accessible from any internet capable device. This means you can collaborate wherever there is an internet connection or cellular network coverage.
Key features of MS Teams:
- Phone calling - you can make internal calls to University staff members from Teams (external phone calling can be enabled. Contact the Service Desk to discuss further).
- Video Conferencing - conduct video conferences and share documents with internal and external collaborators (Teams replaces Skype for Business)
- Chat - send instant messages to individuals or groups and share files.
- Teams - Create work groups (Teams) with people you regularly communicate with such as your work unit, project group or collaborators to share documents, tasks and access productivity tools e.g. Planner, Wiki, Power BI, Forms and more.
- Files - Access files you have created or have been shared with you from SharePoint and OneDrive
- Calendar - Create meetings and plan your daily activities
- Activity - Keep on top of communication in the Activity tab. The Activity tab summarises any changes or updates that have occurred for your attention.
How to access Teams
Microsoft Teams is available from the VUW Software Centre to be downloaded to your work University desktop.
Off Campus access
Microsoft Teams can be accessed off campus by browsing to www.office.com, signing in with your University username and password, then selecting Teams from the list of applications available.
Microsoft Teams Calling
Receive your University phone calls through Microsoft Teams, and eliminate the need for a desktop phone. Microsoft Teams Calling enables you to make external calls including local, national or international calls (if you are currently able to). You can take calls on a headset, or on your mobile phone if you install the Teams App (see Teams App section for more details). Receiving phone calls on your mobile through the Teams App will improve your workplace resilience and reduce University costs (please contact the Service Desk if you wish to be moved to Microsoft Teams Calling).
MS Teams App
Install the Teams App on your mobile phone through the Apple and Google Play stores. The Teams app gives you access to most of the features and functionality available on the desktop application.
Create a Team space
You can create a Team space for your work unit, project team or collaboration group to share, discuss and edit information by filling in the online form. The Team space will be automatically provisioned as long it complies with information management standards.
For an overview of Teams functionality follow the link to the Microsoft informational video
For further details, visit the Teams SharePoint site
For training on how to get the best out of Microsoft Teams, please log a call with the Service Desk requesting MS Teams training.