Associate Professor Zach Dodson
- DA student, School of Art, Design & Architecture, Aalto University
- MFA, Writing, The School of the Art Institute Chicago
- AAS, Graphic Design, The Illinois Institute of Art Chicago
- BA, Humanities, The University of Texas at Austin
Zach Dodson is an active member of many arts communities, forging connections between the worlds of design and literature. As the founder of featherproof books he has designed many award-winning books. He is the author of the hybrid typo/graphic novel, boring boring boring boring boring boring boring, and the illuminated novel Bats of the Republic (Doubleday, 2015). His writing has also appeared in Proximity, Monsters & Dust, ACM, and 30 Under 30: An Anthology of Innovative Fiction. He was named to Newcity’s Top 50 Literary Figures in Chicago many times. Three of his book designs were featured in Fully Booked: Ink on Paper, Design and Concepts for New Publications (Gestalten). His design work has been recognized by Print Magazine, Communication Arts, and AIGA Voices, as well as exhibited internationally. He also co-launched such experiments as the BookFort and The Show N' Tell Show, a live graphic design talk show. He is currently investigating utopian architecture and arctic culture for the design of an interactive tragedy.
Research Interests / Supervisory Interests
- Designed Creative Writing
- Visual Narrative
- Narrative Design
- Visual Literature
Zach Dodson founded the Visual Narrative MA program at Aalto University in Helsinki, Finland, where he taught courses on hybrid narrative and storytelling. He previously taught at Columbia College Chicago.
- Print Magazine Regional Design Award, Best of Southwest, 2016
- New York Book Show 2016, 1st Place
- Design Observer 50 Books of 2015
- The Washington Post, Notable Fiction Books of 2015